Welcome to the "new" #gb web site
#gb: The channel and its occupants.
The English Language, as spoken in England:
A lot of visitors to #GB find that they don't understand much of what
we say. This is because we speak British English and not the dumbed down,
vocabulary free abortion of a language adopted by the Americans and
in the last irony ever committen by them, called "English". Should you
wish to find some translations then why not try the following pages.
- A very useful
English dictionary for American English speakers.
- Confused about those thousands of odd English slang terms?
The best dictionary I have found is the
Online Dictionary of
- Yet another online dictionary of
English for American Speakers. - This one is in quite sweet little
categories and defines "Skanky" reasonably well.
- Another online swear and slang dictionary is the English one of part
of a series of other dictionaries in various languages.
The Alternative English Dictionary.
- A vaguely useful dictionary of English swear words can be found in
- Note well - Webster's Dictionary is NOT an English dictionary, it
is an American Dictionary. The definitive English Dictionary is the
Oxford English Dictionary. The problem with this, is that they still
charge for access (why? because they can!) so I can't provide a sensible
link I am afraid. Occasionally The
Ask Oxford page
can be amusing, but not often that useful.
Other pages and information: